Tension headache : causes,Types and Remedies for tension headache
Tension headache is the leading cause of headache. It is a pain or discomfort in the head, scalp and neck and is related to the tension of the muscles in this part of the body.Tension headche relief
Surely you have ever suffered the so-called tension headache , it affects both sides of the head, and not just one as usually happens with migraine . To this constant and stabbing pain is added a stiff neck and scalp, a discomfort that appears mostly in the middle of the day and that is taking force during the afternoon.
It is a type of headache that the vast majority of the population suffers, but if it lengthens for several days a week and for three months in a row, we would already be faced with a chronic condition that would require a specific type of treatment.Tension headche relief
Causes of tension headache
There are many factors that cause these annoying headaches, but these could be the root causes:
- Stress and anxiety situations.
- Being in an awkward and incorrect position for the axis of the body and head, where the muscles and nerves are overloaded.
- Having your eyes fixed on something for a long time, or even having vision problems and using an incorrect graduation on our glasses or lenses.
- A poor diet with deficiencies of vitamins and minerals (magnesium, vitamin B …).
The pain caused by tension headache has the following characteristics:
- It is deaf, similar to pressure . The feeling is that something oppresses the head
- It is widespread, affects the entire head, neck and shoulders. Unlike other types of headache, you do not feel alone in a point or on one side.
- But that does not mean that it is not noticed more in some areas than in others. The pain or pressure is more intense in the scalp, in the back of the neck and possibly in the shoulders.
- Typically, people suffering from a tension headache tend to try to relieve it by massaging the neck, temples or scalp. If you usually repeat this gesture, it may be for this reason.
This type of headache can occur as an isolated episode, which should not be given more importance, but it can be lengthened in time and occur daily if the causes that cause it persist, so it is necessary to detect what it is that It is causing it. Stress and fatigue can trigger or make it worse.Tension headche relief
Types of tension headaches
- Type I: It is the one that lasts for several months, having a higher incidence in the morning, then ceases and appears in the afternoon. The pain centers on both sides and the occipital part.
- Type II: It is the most common among the population, it is characterized by diffuse pain and an annoying sensation of pressure. It lasts between one and three days. Medications, meanwhile, do not usually relieve it.
Differences between migraine and tension headache
Tension headache presents more as a generalized pain with pressure on the temples and behind the head, also on the neck, sometimes it lasts for hours, or just over half an hour, it lasts for two or three days and then disappears.
Migraine, meanwhile, has a very localized pain, sometimes it occurs on only one side of the head, the light bothers us , we feel nauseous, dizzy … something that for example does not appear with tension headaches, which, at Sometimes they disappear with a simple neck massage .Tension headche relief
Remedies to relief from tension headache
- Vitamin B: Vitamin B helps us energize those neurons that, due to stress and our daily effort, work excessively. A good contribution of this vitamin can prevent this type of headaches, hence it is convenient to add a contribution through the tablets that are usually sold in natural stores, a 250 mg daily capsule for two weeks would be very convenient to recover, so You can also find vitamin B in cow livers, blue fish and eggs.
- Lavender: Lavender is perfect for relieving stress and headache. We can take it in infusion, two dry twigs in boiling water and taken in the morning and in the afternoon it can resolve the tension headache. Likewise, if we put lavender oil in boiling water and inhale the steam, it also has very beneficial effects.
- Artemis: It is ideal for tension headache. This plant has substances that help regulate the neurotransmitters of the brain, and normalize the blood flow in it. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it perfect if we take it as an infusion. Take two of these flowers, bring them to a boil in water and take them in the middle of the afternoon, after letting the infusion stand for 15 minutes. Drink it with small sips.
- Magnesium: According to many studies, magnesium is effective in preventing and relieving headache and migraine: It is a mineral that relaxes muscles and relieves stress, calming nerves and headaches. Where can we find it? In brown rice, cocoa powder, pumpkin seeds, dried basil, flax and cumin seeds, nuts and Brazil …
- Mint: A perfect remedy to treat headaches. It relaxes us and relieves pain. If we take two infusions a day: morning and mid-afternoon, we will notice its beneficial effects. For this, two teaspoons of dried mint are enough for a cup of hot water, let it stand for a few minutes and take it little by little. Try that when you take these infusions, do it in a relaxed way, without hurry.Tension headche relief
There are many types of headaches, but all of them are very annoying and can prevent us from getting on well every day and doing certain activities. Here are some easy tips and remedies so you can have some pain relief from tension headache.
- Use a good sleeping pillow, the position in which we put the neck and head is very important.
- Take care of your posture when reading, working or doing other activities
- Get used to stretching your neck, back and shoulders from time to time when you are working or at the computer to avoid overloading.
- Check your vision, tension headaches are sometimes related to this problem.
- Control your stress situations, take your personal time, rest, set priorities.
However, and as always we advise, the first thing you should do is see your doctor if these problems are very persistent .Tension headche relief